Need extra storage space?
You’re not alone.
If you’ve recently moved Hendersonville or Banner Elk from one of the big cities in North Carolina, you’re likely to notice that living space can be a little tighter in the mountains. That’s why The Storage Depot offers two great locations for you to store your extra stuff! We have a self storage facility in Mills River, just outside of Hendersonville, and a self storage facility in Banner Elk, just outside of Boone.
New to self storage? Here’s what you need to know
Items such as clothing, books, furniture, and miscellaneous household items are great for a mini storage unit. These can all be stored in a unit for short term or long-term storage.
Finding The Best Unit For You
Finding the perfect unit is easier than you think. Here’s how to do it:
- Know What Size Unit You Need
- Put Things Inside Of Things
- Measure The Largest Item
Knowing How Long You Want To Store
Knowing the duration of your stay will help you decide how you want to pack your thing in your unit. A longer stay may need air-tight containers to protect clothing or books from light or temperature.
How to plan where items will go
It’s best to have an idea of where your items will go in your storage unit before you get there. This will create extra storage space in your small unit. Here’s what you should consider:
- Pre-plan where items will go
- Identify the items you will use the most
- Put the most-used items at the front of the unit
- Have a master list
- Give yourself a map
- Create aisles for navigating your items
- Use same-sized boxes for all items
- Label boxes with what’s inside
- Use the unit’s height as often as possible
- Consider using shelving
- Rent a larger unit if necessary
We’ve also put together a handy Storage Tips for Hendersonville residents guide. Check it out!
Items NOT to put in a public storage unit
There are a few things you should never put in a storage unit. Here’s a quick list:
- Paint Or Paint Thinner
- Scented Items
- Items That Are Susceptible To Mold Or Mildew
- Valuables Items
- Weapons, Guns, Firearms, And Ammunition
- Stolen Items
For a further dive into why these items are prohibited in a storage unit, check out our write-up here.
Get the most space out of your mini self storage unit
Getting the most space out of your public storage unit is easy if you follow these steps:
- Use all the space but don’t overstuff and allow for growth
- Rent a unit that’s preferably close to the entrance of the building
- Rent from a facility with strong security
- Have a strong lock
- Rent from a facility with climate-controlled units
- Store in the Cloud
- Label label label — with an inventory list
Carolina Storage Depot: Your Local Storage Facility
We love the North Carolina Mountains, and consider Mills River & Banner Elk are home. We aim to provide the best self storage facility and experience for our communities by providing a clean, secure, and affordable experience. Contact us today to learn more or visit our homepage to reserve your storage unit online.